Chronology of Saint Xavier University

Chicago, Illinois

1831 Mother Catherine McAuley establishes the Sisters of Mercy in Dublin, Ireland.
1837 Chicago incorporates as a city.
1844 Reverend William Quarter becomes the first Roman Catholic bishop of Chicago.
1846 At the request of Bishop Quarter, five Sisters of Mercy arrive from Pittsburgh to begin the work of Catholic education in Chicago. To honor their leader, Mother Frances Xavier Warde, they give the name of her patron, St. Francis Xavier, to their original academy. Saint Francis Xavier Academy for Females opens at Madison Street and Michigan Avenue in downtown Chicago on October 12, 1846.
1847 Saint Xavier Academy’s charter from the State of Illinois empowers it to confer "academic or honorary degrees." This charter establishes Saint Xavier’s claim as the oldest Mercy institution of higher education in the world, as the oldest Catholic educational institution still present in Chicago and as one of the oldest continuously operating educational institutions in the metropolitan area.
1871 The Great Chicago Fire reduces Saint Xavier Academy to ruins.
1873 Saint Xavier Academy opens at 29th Street and Wabash Avenue.
1901 Saint Xavier Academy opens in new quarters at 49th Street and Cottage Grove Avenue.
1912 Saint Francis Xavier College for Women, with plans to expand to the college level, receives a collegiate certificate of incorporation from the State of Illinois.
1915 Saint Francis Xavier College for Women opens with five students.
1919 Saint Xavier College holds its first commencement for a graduating class of two students.
1935 Saint Xavier College opens the first collegiate nursing program in the State of Illinois.
1953 Saint Xavier College offers its first graduate program (theology).
1954 Saint Xavier College establishes its Center for Liberal Studies in Education.
1956 Saint Xavier College moves to its current location at 103rd Street and Central Park Avenue.
1959 Saint Xavier College confers its first master’s degrees (education).
1966 The College opens its Continuing Education program for degree-seeking adults. The School of Nursing receives formal recognition as an entity within the College having the rights and responsibilities usually associated with academic designation as a "School."
1969 Saint Xavier College becomes coeducational (February).
1978 The Weekend College program welcomes its first students.
1983 The College establishes the Graham School of Management.
1989 The College reorganizes its Education Center (department) as the School of Education.
1990 The College establishes the School of Arts and Sciences.
1992 Saint Xavier College becomes Saint Xavier University.
1995 Andrew Conference Center opens.
1996 Saint Xavier celebrates 150 years of educational service in and beyond Chicago.
1997 Saint Xavier University organizes its Adult College, establishes a Center for Off-Campus and International Program Development, and opens a suburban campus in Tinley Park, Illinois.
1999 Shannon Center opens.
2000 McDonough Chapel and Mercy Ministry Center open.
2001 McCarthy Hall opens.
2002 Morris Hall opens.
2003 Orland Park campus opens.
2004 Gilhooley’s and Driehaus Center open. Saint Xavier University establishes the Office for Mission and Heritage.
2006 Rubloff Hall opens, later designated first LEED Gold higher education building in Illinois. Saint Xavier celebrates 160 years of educational service in and beyond Chicago.
2007 The School of Arts and Sciences becomes the College of Arts and Sciences.
2008 O’Brien Hall opens as the second LEED Gold certified residence hall.


OmniUpdate