Speakers and artists are welcomed at Saint Xavier University. The University recognizes its role as an educational stimulus and welcomes the opportunity to raise questions within the forum of the University community. While at times the issues raised may be controversial in nature, the University has continually stressed the validity and value of the inquiry process as well as the role it has in guaranteeing freedom of artistic expression.
The University acknowledges its responsibilities to ensure as much as possible the respect for persons invited to campus for the purposes of learning, leisure and/or worship. Groups or persons not invited by the University, but who use the University for various specified purposes agreed upon by means of a contract or lease of University space, should be assured a similar degree of respect.
The following guidelines ensure that proper respect is afforded guests of the University or a sponsoring group within the University:
- Guest speakers from off campus invited by student organizations must be approved by the director of Student Life. An Event Permit/Speaker Clearance form is available in the Office of Student Life and must be submitted at least two weeks prior to the anticipated date of engagement. Speakers who have not received appropriate approval may be canceled.
- Individual students wishing to sponsor a speaker or artist must work with an existing student organization or through Auxiliary Services.
- The University seeks to preserve a forum open to all. Freedom of inquiry takes precedence over freedom of public demonstration.
- In order to preserve an orderly atmosphere and avoid possible embarrassment to invited guests, the University may prohibit two speakers representing opposing viewpoints on the same date, unless the events have been appropriately arranged in advance, and unless both speakers have full prior knowledge and acceptance of the circumstances of their invitation.
- There must be adequate and accurate publicity regarding the sponsorship of the event.
- The University neither has, nor desires, authority to prohibit its students from participating as individuals in picket lines or peaceful and lawful demonstrations on behalf of causes they support. Students wishing to demonstrate on campus or at any University activity must complete a Demonstration form with the dean of Students Office and comply with demonstration guidelines. See Demonstration Policy.
- The University wishes to make it clear that outsiders, those who are not members of the University community and who seek to intervene or agitate on University property, will be treated as trespassers.
- The sponsoring organization must provide for adequate dissemination of the following disclaimer: "Sponsorship of this event by the faculty, staff or student organization should in no way be construed as an endorsement by Saint Xavier University [or the Office of Student Life of Saint Xavier University]."