The following procedures are designed to ensure prompt and consistent response to all medical emergencies and minor injuries:
- In the event of a serious illness or injury, call 911 to secure an ambulance; proceed to notify Public Safety through extension 773-298-3911 or 3911 from a campus phone. Remain at the scene.
- In cases of minor illness or injury, call Saint Xavier University Office of Public Safety, emergency extension 773-298-3911. Give the nature of the injury and the location.
- Remain at the scene until appropriate personnel arrive.
- In the event of a minor injury, the Public Safety officers shall advise the injured party of the closest medical treatment facility.
- An incident report shall be completed by Public Safety.
If there is any question as to the seriousness of the injury or illness, 911 should be called immediately, followed by Public Safety at 773-298-3911.
Persons with Disabilities
In the event of an evacuation, Public Safety will consult the list of locations of people with disabilities who may require special assistance, which is provided every semester by the Learning Center and Disability Services.
Faculty and staff members are requested to assist individuals with disabilities to the extent possible. If it is not possible to safely evacuate a person with a disability using the ground level exit or stairwell, immediately call 773-298-3911. If a disabled individual on the second or third floors is physically unable to use the stairs to exit the building, he or she should be assisted to the nearest smoke-free stairwell, enter the landing and wait inside on the stairwell landing with the door closed.
If danger is imminent, or if ground level stairway or stairwell evacuations are not practical, the person with the disability should remain in a smoke-free room with exterior windows, a telephone, and a solid or fire resistant door. A piece of clothing should be hung out of the window to alert fire department personnel to the person’s location.